I BelieveCreative, Aware, Sensitive, Intense &/or Gifted youth & adults are Different by Design! You can find the magic in feeling like a misfit or an alien & move from Feeling Defective to Being Distinctive!
About Sharon Barnes
Hi, I'm Sharon Barnes, LCSW, Therapist for Sensitive and Gifted. I have a gentle, yet powerfully supportive style as I help you develop awareness and acceptance of your inner self. My life work is to help you release your creativity to become fully alive and realize your dreams. As you do this, you may discover that you are hindered by pain or haunted by your past. If you choose, I can then help you to transform your pain and heal your past. I help you develop new skills which enhance your personal strengths, your relationships and your work. This frees you to thrive and live the life of your dreams.
Five themes have emerged in my work with gifted, highly sensitive and creative people.
- Over-sensitivity: Balancing Life as a highly sensitive person in an insensitive world is the #1 issue that people discuss in my Counseling, Classes, PlayShops, Presentations and in my Counseling office. Many gifted, creative people haven't known that high sensitivity comes with the territory they inhabit, and are greatly relieved to know that they are not alone in being challenged by their intensities, inner drives and sensitivities. I've developed a repertoire of tools and skills to help you balance these beautifully.
- Feeling like a misfit runs a close second. Gifted, Creative, highly sensitive adults, teens and children feel 'different' especially when they also have multiple exceptionalities. They often don't know how to fit in–or how to belong when they can't fit in. Some check out, some fight their way through, some struggle internally, some seem to flop back and forth, searching for a solution to this dilemma. I've found ways to help you cope creatively, and turn being a misfit inside-out, so you can maximize your self-esteem, and your ability to be connected and make a contribution.
- Facing adversity is especially challenging for highly sensitive, gifted, creative people. Our sensitivities, intensities and creative imaginations can quickly magnify the negative effects of adversity, while distancing us from coping skills we have painstakingly acquired. My specialty is helping you to use your sensitivities, intensities and creative imagination to turn adversity on it heels, so you can take full advantage of adversity, hardship and trouble by reclaiming your life.
- Healing emotional wounds can be especially challenging for creative, highly sensitive, gifted people. They often hear that they are over-reacting. Many of the tools for healing seem insensitive, irrelevant, or just don't work for them. Having creative, sensitive, intelligent tools and training how to use them can help you to recover your own personal treasure that's been hidden in life's deep dark woods of despair.
- Living With Passion and Purpose seems illusive or impossible for may gifted, creative highly sensitive people. Many seem to flounder in dreary drudgery. Talented people who don't fulfill their potential is almost a proverb. I've helped many discover how to build a bridge from where they are to where they want to go. They craft lives they love to live. When they come to the end of the road, they can know that they have tapped the depths of their passion and fulfilled their true purpose.
My work as a counselor and therapist is much like that of a wilderness guide. I walk alongside and help you explore the wilderness of self-discovery and healing. My counseling and therapy provides
- Protection -- a safe and confidential place to bring your concerns.
- Permission -- to feel, to think, to see, to hear, to speak, to do, to be who you really are, and help to discover who that is.
- Power -- Support to face hard things, and help to gather and build your own strength.
- Possibilities -- Options when you are afraid there are none.
- Pathways -- Help to find your own sensitive, creative, gifted path through life.
For more than 25 years, I have helped creative, highly sensitive and gifted people turn obstacles into stepping stones. If any of this resonates with you, please contact me.
Sharon Barnes Success Stories
I am always amazed when I work in the sand with Sharon. I make something thinking that I know what it means. It always ends up symbolizing something deeper.